Thursday, October 4, 2012

End of Summer

Colton and his nameless new best friend for a day


It is getting to be that time of year again in the Pacific Northwest where one gets a sneaky suspicion that this very day might be the last time you get to see the sun again for a very long time.  Not to sound like the kind of person that is a "half empty glass" type, but the sun does disappear on us for MONTHS at a time behind grey, rainy, endless clouds up here.  Us native Washingtonians don't take the sun for granted is all I am saying, and when that ball of burning gas is out in the sky we make the most of it!

The other day I packed a lunch, Colton grabbed his big Styrofoam airplane and we headed to the park with Macie to play.  It took Colton about 5 seconds to make a new friend and they ran around the softball field flying his airplane for quite a while.  When they were done playing I asked him what his friend's name was and Colton responded by saying, "I don't know but he has a helicopter on his shirt and he likes airplanes."  If only it was so easy to make friends as adults!

It has occurred to me that this will be the last rainy winter I am going to live in for a long time since our family will be moving to Indonesia next November (not this one, the next one).  I am very excited to be moving to a place where the sun will shine year round!  I do wonder however, how long will take me to get over the feeling that the sun is going to up and disappear on me like it always has in October?  (Watch in a couple of years I will be blogging about missing the rain and cold weather).
   
Nothing tastes better than a PB&J enjoyed at the park


No comments:

Post a Comment